ONS - Index of Private Housing Rent and Population Projection

Private rental prices paid by tenants rose by 2.7% in the 12 months to September 2015.

 The UK population is projected to increase by 9.7 million over the next 25 years to 74.3 million in mid-2039.
Publication Date: 02.11.2015

Office for National Statistics -

Private Housing Rental Index (July to September Results): 

  • Private rental prices paid by tenants in Great Britain rose by 2.7% in the 12 months to September 2015.
  • Private rental prices grew by 2.8% in England, 1.6% in Scotland and 0.5% in Wales in the 12 months to September 2015.
  • Rental prices increased in all the English regions over the year to September 2015, with rental prices increasing the most in London (4.1%).

 To view the ONS press release, please click here.  

 

Population Projections: 

  • The UK population is projected to increase by 9.7 million over the next 25 years from an estimated 64.6 million in mid-2014 to 74.3 million in mid-2039.
  • The UK population is projected to reach 70 million by mid-2027.
  • Assumed net migration accounts for 51 per cent of the projected increase over the next 25 years, with natural increase (more births than deaths) accounting for the remaining 49 per cent of growth.
  • Over the ten year period to mid-2024, the UK population is projected to increase by 4.4 million to 69.0 million. This is 249 thousand higher than the previous (2012-based) projection for that year.
  • The population is projected to continue ageing with the average (median) age rising from 40.0 years in 2014 to 40.9 years in mid-2024 and 42.9 by mid-2039.
  • By mid-2039 more than one in twelve of the population is projected to be aged 80 or over.

 

For further information on what the 2014-based population projections show, please click here.

For information on the impact of internal migration and emigration on population change, please click here.